A simple variety..... no onions, tomato or masala. Just add ginger and garlic for some wonderful aroma and a touch of toasted sesame seeds powder, for a pleasant tasting curry!
Beerakaya - 4 cups, chopped (peel skin slightly - just around the ridges)
Ginger - 1 tbsp, finely chopped
Garlic - 1 tbsp, finely chopped
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Dried red chillies - 2, tear and deseed
Urad dal - 1 tbsp
Green chillies - 4, slit lengthwise
Curry leaves - sprig
Sesame seeds powder - 2 tbsp (toasted and coarsely ground)
Milk - 3 tbsp
Oil - 1 tbsp
- Heat oil in a wide skillet and add seasoning of cumin seeds, dried red chillies, urad dal, curry leaves.
- Let urad dal turn pale brown, then add giner and garlic. Saute for a minute and add slit green chillies, chopped beerakaya.
- Add salt, mix, cover and cook in its own moisture, until done. Ridge gourd should not turn mushy - should be firm, yet soft.
- Uncover, let all moisture evaporate and add toasted sesame seeds powder.
- Saute for a couple of minutes, add milk and turn the heat off. Mix well.
Serve with rice. Also good with Roti/Phulka.