I had accidentally left the yogurt (home made) out for a little longer and it turned sour. With sour yogurt, I instantly think of Majjiga Kura or Majjiga Pulusu - one of my favourite varieties. We can use any vegetable combo - potato, raw plaintain, eggplant, bottlegourd, cluster beans and leafy vegetables too! I had a couple of eggplants & a small bottlegourd, so decided to use them up.
2 cups sorakaya pieces (cut into 1.5" squares)
3 small eggplants, each cut into 4 pieces, lengthwise
salt, turmeric - to taste
4 green chillies - slit lengthwise
2 tbsp oil
3-4 cups buttermilk
coriander leaves, chopped
For seasoning : 1 dried red chillie-broken into pieces, 1/4 tsp cumin seeds, 3 cloves (lavang), 6 curry leaves
For masala - grind the following together to make a smooth paste :
1 medium onion, a small ginger piece, 3 garlic cloves, 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, 1 tsp coriander seeds, 1 tsp fennel seeds, 1tsp poppy seed powder
- Heat oil in a pan, add seasoning ingredients and immediately add vegetable pieces. Make sure the vegetable pieces are dry. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the masala/onion paste, salt, turmeric and let fry until the onion loses its raw smell.
- Add green chillies, cover & cook until the vegetables turn soft. (Sprinkle some water, if required)
- When done, add chopped coriander leaves, turn the stove off.
- Let cool for some time, add buttermilk, mix well and adjust salt.
Tastes great - serve with rice!